Thanks for checking out my website! This place is mostly a portfolio of projects that I’ve led over the last few years, highlighting some of the work I do. Here’s a bio that might make me sound a little not-so-human, but sums up my work quite well.
I’m a strategic senior leading working at the intersection of politics, advocacy, communications design, and movement-building. I have 10+ years experience driving high-profile political and public engagement campaigns through thoughtful strategy, heartfelt storytelling and creative tactics that build civic literacy, participation and action.
Growth and contribution are two of my guiding principles: I love working with others towards a shared vision of what’s possible, managing through collaboration, community, and fun. I’m interested in creating ways for our democratic system to be more equitable, accessible, and diverse, and see communications as a powerful vehicle to engage people around critical issues. I’ve worked on campaigns that build movements around affordable housing policy, climate action, gender equity, mental health funding, and more.
Some highlights include:
· Declared housing a human right in Toronto’s 2020-2030 Housing Action Plan
· Led movement to successfully establish the City of Toronto’s first-ever Gender Equality Office
· Increased the City’s shelter capacity by 25% by opening up 1,000 shelter beds
· Led public consultation with 500+ residents and 100+ senior leadership staff across 12 divisions of the City of Toronto to successfully create the landmark Downtown East Action Plan
· Brought Equity Responsive Budgeting framework to City of Toronto’s $13.47 billion budget
· Co-founded civic leadership program Women Win Toronto in increase diversity in politics
· Collaborated with the Indigenous Affairs Office in creating North America’s first-ever Indigenous Centre for Innovation & Entrepreneurship
I love working towards a shared vision of what’s possible and inspiring greatness in those around me. I’m drawn to managing teams for a lot of the same reasons I’m drawn to political engagement: it is a deeply human endeavour where I can create the conditions for a group of people to flourish together. As a leader, I bring a coaching philosophy. I approach hard conversations with grace. I build common bonds. I am sensitive to the unique lived experiences of people and I aim to make sure my team feels appreciated. These are no clichés, they are the foundations of leadership: vision and values.
Speaking & Workshops
- Digital Public Consultation & Community Engagement Series, Civic Hall Toronto, 2020
- Gender and Governance Forum, G(irls) 20, 2019
- Healthy Neighbourhood Forum (5-part community forum) Councillor Wong-Tam, 2019
- Community Engagement: How to Navigate Toronto City Hall, 1UP Toronto Conference, Summer 2019
- Housing as a Human Right: HousingTO 2020-2030 Public Consultation, Summer 2019
- Communications & Media Relations Training, Women Win TO, 2017
- Gender & the City: Equity Impacts of Municipal Services, Councillor Wong-Tam, 2017
- Women in Politics Position Primer: Civic Tech Series, Take Back Your Tech, 2016
- M.A. Communications & Culture from York and Ryerson University (2014)
- B.F.A Studio Arts from Concordia University (2011)
- Yin Yoga & Mindfulness Teacher Certification (2019)
- Reaching In, Reaching Out: Anti-Oppression & Trauma Informed Yoga Teacher Training (2019)
- 300-hr Advanced Yoga Teacher Training Certification (2017)
- ACUMEN+ Adaptive Leadership: Mobilizing for Change Training (2015)
- Indigenous Cultural Competency Training (ICCT), 2016
Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), Final Cut Pro, Certified NationBuilder Expert, CallHub, Audacity, WordPress, MailChimp, Constant Contact, CSS, and HTML.